I’m putting together the proposal for Mastering Perl, 2nd Edition. O’Reilly would like it published by next summer.
I wrote the first edition in 2005 and O’Reilly published it in 2006. Now it’s seven years after I wrote the original. What do I need to update? Many of Perl’s new features have already shown up in Learning Perl and Intermediate Perl, but Mastering Perl has never really been about listing Perl features.
Some things I already have on my mind:
- Beefing up the logging chapter
- A better example for the Tie chapter, using NOAA’s Hourly Surface data instead of the made up DNA example
- Adding JSON to the data persistence chapter
- Various updates to the Advanced Regex chapter
- Some fancier examples for the modulinos chapter
- Devel::NYTProf in the benchmarking chapter
I don’t know if I need to add any major topics. What do you think?