New to “Benchmarking”

Computers are much faster eight years later so my benchmark sample results are much faster. I’m regenerating those results with v5.18. I’ve tweaked many of the programs to be a bit more useful; in the previous edition I hardcoded values, such as the number of iterations. Now I can specify those on the command line.

Several of the benchmarks dealt with listing files with glob. In the first edition, I used a couple of existing directories. This time around, I spent too much time looking for suitable directories with the right numbers of files. After awhile, I gave up on that and had the programs create temporary directories with the number of files I specify:

use File::Temp qw(tempdir);
my $dir = tempdir( CLEANUP => 1 );

chdir( $dir ) or die "Could not change to $dir: $!";
foreach ( 1 .. $files ) {
    open my($fh), '>', "$0.$_.tmp" or die "Could not create a file: $!";
    print { $fh } time();
    }

After I covered Benchmark, I also mentioned Steffen Müller’s Dumbbench (see my earlier post, Playing with Dumbbench).

I updated the section on perlbench, Gisle Aas’s tool to compare benchmarks across different interpreters. Since he hasn’t updated that since I wrote the first edition, I took all of the previous releases and imported them into git so I could fix RT 73642, which recognizes the new way that perl reports its version. That’s now in my perlbench GitHub project.

Most of the other stuff is the same, with minor updates.

Check out this chapter in O’Reilly Atlas.

Leave a Comment


NOTE - You can use these HTML tags and attributes:
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>